Separating Mixtures


Science: I can test a variety of household materials; I can investigate the states of matter.

Today, Ms Dool lead us in our first Chemistry experiment! We have learned so far about the states of matter, reversible and irreversible changes, and different types of mixtures (homogeneous and heterogeneous). Today, we got to make mixtures and then use different tools to try to separate them. 


Each group was given a category of mixtures (solid & solid, liquid & liquid, or liquid & solid). We got to choose the materials from a whole pile that Ms Dool had (like jello powder, blocks, screws, dirt, milk, gatorade, etc). Then, we could choose our tool to try to separate (like a sieve, magnet, coffee filter, or other liquids). 



"We had soap and milk. When we stirred it, they mixed it. The soap kind of 'took over' the milk; it turned orange. We tried to separate it with the eye dropper and the milk got sucked up easily." ~ Lillian


"We made a mixture of vegetable oil, water, and soap. We weren't able to separate it."
~ James & Lawrence

"We took milk and pudding mixture and made pudding. 
Then we added Gatorade and the powder went to the bottom." ~ Seb C, Leo, Liam


"We made coffee! We mixed ground coffee with gatorade. We tried to separate it with a coffee filter and it worked pretty well. The Gatorade turned brown and smelled like coffee." ~ Vance, Jane, Enzo, Sadie


Here are some of our quotes from today's lesson: 

"I used a magnet to get the screws out, then a sieve to sift out the dirt." ~ Maria
"I used a sieve to sift out the marshmallows and my fingers to pick out the blocks." ~ Oscar
"I liked what we were doing because we got to mix things, which was super fun; we got to see the end result of what we were making, and I just found it fun trying to separate things in different ways." ~ Vance
"It was really fun. We got to use a lot of weird materials and tools. I like mixing stuff a lot." ~ Lillian
"I liked creating all the mixtures and seeing what everybody else did." ~ Liam
"I liked mixing it because the soap floated to the top. When I put my hand in, it was really slimy." ~ Hazel
"It was really messy!" ~ Lawrence
"I found if we kept it on a tray, it wouldn't spread all over." ~ Oscar
"I liked making the pudding because we poured the milk in the cup and the mixture into another cup and it turned from white to yellow." ~ Seb C
"Chemistry was super fun because we got to experiment with different materials." ~ Seb K
"Sometime, Chemistry can smell good!" ~ Leo

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Solstice

Ralph Klein Park Field Trip Recount

Puberty Homework