3-Digit x 1-Digit Division

Math: I can explore Division strategies; I can represent Division in a variety of ways.

This week, we worked on dividing 3-digit by 1-digit numbers. Students were given the problem: 124/4. They had the chance to try on their own how to solve it. Then, different students came up to the Smartboard to show how they solved the problem. Here are some different strategies that were shared: 



"I halved the dividend and the divisor." ~ Callie

"I broke it down into the hundreds place, tens place,
and ones place, then divided each by 4." ~ Lawrence


"I drew 4 groups for each place value column. I divided each by 4." ~ Seb K

~ Hazel


"I drew 4 groups because the divisor is 4. Then I gave each group 1 to start.
That left me with 120. I gave each group 10, which left me with 80.
I gave each group 20, which. left me with 0. So in each group there are 31." ~ Ms Elder


Students were given the chance to practice a strategy that worked for them. Those who self-assessed themselves as ready for a "challenge" learned the traditional algorithm for "long division." 

We also practiced re-writing division equations using the two different formats (pictured above).

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Solstice

Ralph Klein Park Field Trip Recount

Puberty Homework