Lever Centers

Science: I can explore and test simple machines; I can use scientific vocabulary; I can record my observations.

Today, we were learning about levers and there were three stations. Each centre focused on one of the classes of levers. First class levers have the fulcrum in the middle, second class have the load in the middle and the third class levers have the effort in the middle. 

Some examples of first class levers are: seesaw, crowbar, scale, scissors, binder clip
Some examples of second class levers are: nutcracker, stapler, wheelbarrow
Some examples of third class levers are: tongs, rake, tweezers

"I learned how to use tongs and how to use different types of levers in different ways." ~ Enzo
"I learned what first, second, and third class levers are." ~ Liam
"I think we did this to test out first, second, and third class levers." ~ Callie
"I learned that there are a lot of levers in our world and they look very different from one another." ~ Sebastian K
"I think the reason we did the centres was to test different levers rather than learning on paper."~ Leo
"Over the time that we've been learning about levers, I've learned that not every lever is like a Minecraft lever." ~ Vance

Here we tested how much effort we needed to use if we moved where the fulcrum was.
The closer the fulcrum is to the load, the EASIER it is.

Here we were testing picking up the dominoes with tongs.
The closer to the load you pinch the tweezers, the EASIER it is.


Popular posts from this blog

Summer Solstice

Ralph Klein Park Field Trip Recount

Puberty Homework