Land Acknowledgements


The back wall of our classroom!

LA: I can use a web to organize my ideas; I can write to express ideas; I can revise and edit my work.
SS: I can make a connection with the land; I can demonstrate respect to Indigenous cultures.
Personal Development Through Learning: I can persevere through challenges in the learning process; I can use teacher feedback to improve work.

During the month of September, we learned what a land acknowledgement is and why it's important. We also explored the teachings of the Medicine Wheel.

We used a blank Medicine Wheel planner to brainstorm and organize our ideas for our own land acknowledgements. From that, we created sentences, focusing on using a variety of sentence starters and proper punctuation. 

Ms Elder met with us one-on-one and we used her feedback to make changes to our work.


Once our land acknowledgements were typed and printed as a good copy, we created a piece of artwork that went along with our writing. Ms Elder showcased all of our work on the back bulletin board. :)

We now start each day by having a student read their land acknowledgment for the class. 



Ms Elder's note to parents: 

I have been so impressed with the knowledge and care students have put into their land acknowledgements and artwork. Thank you for your support! 

The students and I have each assessed their work. After their presentation is complete, they will take home their marks to share with you. Please keep an eye out for it in their backpack.












Popular posts from this blog

Summer Solstice

Ralph Klein Park Field Trip Recount

Puberty Homework